Wallpaper was popular decades ago, then faded out of style. But like all design trends do eventually, it’s coming back! Wallpaper has been growing in popularity recently, and we keep seeing beautiful examples on Instagram.
Wallpaper is cool, but you probably already know all about it. Today we want to introduce you to its hip younger sister: wall stencils.
Stencils are also a fraction of the price of wallpaper — the stencil itself will cost around $40 (they range from $8-50 based on size and complexity). The only other materials you need are some paint, a brush, and tape. Wallpaper could run you upwards of $400!
This is what the process looks like:
There are 6 easy steps:
- Buy a stencil
- Choose a paint color (try to match the glossiness of the wall)
- Tape stencil to upper corner of the wall (use painter’s tape, and make sure the edge lines up the way you want it to)
- Move stencil, making sure it’s level and lined up with completed sections
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the entire wall is covered!
You’ll want the edges of your design to be sharp, so be careful not to get paint underneath the stencil. The best way to do this is to press your fingers down on the stencil near the area you’re painting, so it doesn’t separate from the wall.
Dab the brush in the stencil openings instead of gliding the brush over them. Use as little paint as possible so it doesn’t drip when you remove the stencil — two thin coats are better than one oozing one!
We get that stenciling a room can be a bit overwhelming — how do you know if it will overwhelm the room? Will the pattern end up looking as good as you expect once you finish? There are a few cases you can’t go wrong with:
- Wall behind a sink in a bathroom
- Back wall in a walk-in closet
- Wall behind a fireplace, so long as it’s under 15 feet wide
- Wall behind your headboard, so long as it’s under 15 feet wide
Remember you don’t have to stencil the entire wall:
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also…tag us in photos of your lovely stenciled walls on Instagram @decoratorapp!