Dear design lovers,
Here at Decorator our #1 goal is to help you make your home as marvelous as possible. We heard all your feedback and we’ve been working hard to make our app better. Our mission remains the same:
We are creating a community to exchange interior design ideas. We want to help you visualize your spaces redesigned in new ways, and also be able to give creative new ideas to others.
In a few weeks, you’ll see an update from us. You’ll be able to:
- Drag furniture from store catalogs onto your photos
- Make a to-do list for your room makeover
- See before/after photos
- Buy furniture you discover and love
In the meantime, we want to thank you so much for being part of the Decorator community. Seriously, we would not be here without you, and we can’t wait to hear how you like Decorator 2.0.
Cofounder & CEO of Decorator
For this week’s blog post I want to do something a little bit different by going behind the scenes at Decorator.
This is me (trying out my new iPhone fisheye lens — I might need a little more practice).
I recently moved into a new apartment, and was tasked with decorating it from scratch. On day one I had a bed frame, a mattress, and boxes upon boxes of clothing, books, and accessories from my last place.
No furniture, no lighting, no curtains.
Seriously, moving in before I had a dresser and shelves was the hardest part.
I started by defining the look I was going for:
Color scheme: White, aqua, and coral
Materials: Light wood, silver metal, glass
General style: Modern, geometric, slightly shabby chic
I will only be living here for around six months, so I decided to buy secondhand furniture I’ll be able to resell. After three Craigslist pickups and 13 store visits over two days, here’s what I ended up with!
I’m happy with how it turned out, and it definitely aligns with my style (coral sheets arrived after this photo was taken!).
I think most of what makes a bedroom special is the individual items inside it.
My favorite piece of furniture I found is my bedside table. I happened across it at Ross for $60, and I love how non-traditional it is. The wiring and the circles make it interesting, and the crystals make it feminine and slightly shabby chic.
I also love all the circles in my lamp. I had gone to six stores and spent a couple hours online before finding this one at Lamps Plus!
It’s fun keeping my jewelry and sunglasses on display (they’re part of the room decor now!). The dish on the dresser is from a day I spent in Murano three years ago — I studied abroad in Italy, and this glass dish reminds me of my travels.
I think this pink old-school telephone is ironic and hilarious.
Damask is one of my favorite fabrics, so my curtain hunt ended as soon as I found these at a local home good store. The pattern and the color are gorgeous!
I had a really fun time decorating my new bedroom. It’s not completely done yet, and I’m still looking for:
- A colorful rug
- Some artwork to fill the blank wall opposite the mirror
- More cute accessories for the windowsill
This is the masterpiece I painted at Paint Nite with my girlfriends a couple months ago, and a tribute to growing up in Queens, NY.
I want to conclude with a few things I learned, which will hopefully help you too.
- As much as I love my bedside table….I don’t recommend you buy one with a glass top. Everything around your bed should be warm and soft, and it’s not the most comforting to set my phone down on glass before going to sleep.
- Hanging curtains with command hooks is really easy! I bought two of the largest size at Target, stuck them to the wall right where I wanted the edges of the curtains to go, and rested a curtain rod on top of them. I was a little worried the hooks would come crashing down, but it’s been several weeks and they have not budged.
- You can hang art with pushpins. They’re surprisingly strong and leave holes so small you’ll barely notice them.
- Don’t be afraid to mix-and-match materials and patterns. All your furniture doesn’t need to be the exact same color or style. Pick what you like, and it will all blend together to create your personal style.
I would absolutely love to hear your ideas on what else I can do to make it awesome. Comment below with your thoughts! 🙂
If you want to see how my room progresses over time, I’ll be posting photo updates on my Instagram account: @vanessareality